In this quick tutorial I will cover how to downgrade your PS3 (NOR flash type only) using dospiedra’s latest downgrade method.
You will need the following:
- PS3 Fat or Slim (NOR flash type only)
- A USB Thumbdrive.
- A method to enter your PS3 into Factory Service Mode
- Firmware 3.70 OFW (.PUP MD5: 7EE6B91BBD07DDE1E65A0681DE66745B)
- ProgSkeet Universal Programmer
- Latest Version of the ProgSkeet Software
- Downgrade V2 by dospiedra (.RAR MD5: F768F4B0E8BA1D300495C5F6A1CFB1E4)
- HEX Editor – I will be using HxD (.ZIP MD5: 18DF5E00110513F15882709D06947F95)
- 3.55 CFW No Check by dospiedra (.PUP MD5: 89FEDBF48A4FFEB74F68D30E3E684608)
- 1st stage Lv2diag.self by jaicrab (.ZIP MD5: 3499B86C34D2E11D0AF74C7B125B6758)
- 2nd stage Lv2diag.self by jaicrab (.RAR MD5: 5A70B6019FD801554305B7A802EB9285)
- Make sure you have ByteSwap checked, so we can eliminate the usage of FlowRebuilder.
- Your dump should be exacltly 16,777,216 bytes.
- Save the dump as NOR_3.70_OFW.bin for this guide.
- Spansion NOR: 128KB sector, 128 sectors
- Samsung NOR: 4KB sector, 4096 sectors
- Macronix NOR: 128KB sector, 128 sectors
patch1: OFFSET 0C0010 LENGTH 6FFFE0
patch2: OFFSET 7C0010 LENGTH 6FFFE0
patch3: OFFSET 80000 LENGTH 20000
patch4: OFFSET A0000 LENGTH 20000
patch5: OFFSET 40000 LENGTH 20000
patch6: OFFSET 60000 LENGTH 20000
For each patch perform the following (using patch 1 as an example):
- Open patch1 and select all (ctrl+a) and copy (ctrl+c).
- Open NOR_3.70_OFW.bin and goto (ctrl+g) OFFSET 0C0010
- Paste write with ctrl-b (not Paste Insert! – the file size should never change) the changes you make should be coloured red.
Keep repeating (using the different offsets for each patch) until all 6 patches have been applied.
Step 5: Save patched NOR_3.70_OFW.bin as NOR_downgrade.bin
Step 6: Flash NOR_downgrade.bin to the PS3 using the ProgSkeet Device and Software.
Step 7: Turn on the PS3 but do not press anything. Wait 1 minute or so, and remove power from the PS3 - we need to put it into factory service mode.
Step 8: Format a FAT32 thumb-drive and place the following files on it.
- usb:\\Lv2diag.self (Get this file from the Lv2Diag-patch-par-Jaicrab.zip archive – ‘\Lv2Diag-patch-par-Jaicrab\STEP1\Lv2diag.self’)
- usb:\\PS3UPDAT.PUP (Rename 355checkoff.PUP to PS3UPDAT.PUP)
Step 9: Plug the thumb-drive with the files from step 8 into the right-most USB port on the PS3.
Step 10: Boot the PS3 into Factory Service Mode (see other guides on how to achieve this)
Step 11: Wait for the PS3 to power off automatically (this should take somewhere between 10-20 minutes)
Step 12: Remove the USB from the right-most USB port on the PS3.
Step 13: Power on the PS3 – you should now see the XMB.
Step 14: Shutdown the PS3 again.
Step 15: Replace the first stage Lv2diag.self with the second stage Lv2diag.self on the thumb-drive and re-plug the thumb-drive into the right-most USB port on the PS3.
- usb:\\Lv2diag.self (Get this file from the Lv2diag_355.rar archive – ‘\\Lv2diag_355\Archivo 2\Lv2diag.self’)
- usb:\\PS3UPDAT.PUP (Keep from before)
Step 16: Power on the PS3 - Wait for the PS3 to power off automatically (this should take somewhere between 10-20 seconds)
Step 17: Remove the USB from the right-most USB port on the PS3.
Step 18: Boot the PS3 and enjoy your 3.55 CFW No Check by dospiedra (equivalent to 3.55 CFW by kweaw)